posted to rec.boats.paddle
!Jones

Default Drag devices

As new tandem kayak team, we recently got caught in water that was
beyond our capability. The wind and waves quickly turned our boat and
rolled us. I was able to right the boat and climb back in; however,
I'd be dumped trying to bring it around into the wind... uktimately,
the Coast Guard had to pull us out.

First, of course, stay out of that position; however, given that
you're there, does anyone carry a drag device, aka: a sea anchor or
drogue. If so, what type and size to you use? How do you rig it? At
which end of the boat do you keep it standby? It's like a life jacket
in that, when you need it, you won't have time to dig it out and
attach it.

As I understand, a "sea anchor" is a different idea from a "drogue" in
that a sea anchor is supposed to hold you essentially stationary with
bow into the wind and a drogue is a smaller device that's towed and
keeps the stern into the wind while affording some steering of the
boat.

Am I on the right sheet of music? I see that *Para Sail* makes a 36"
drouge... I'd assume that ought to be big enough for a kayak????

Jones