posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
Larry

Default can I increase outboard hp?

wrote in news:1150777597.088590.179300
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

I've heard over and over again that everything is the same on a 7.5
h.p. Johnson as on the 15 horse, except the carb.

WHOA! Look more closely at any outboard motor!

That's not a 7.5 horsepower outboard motor! It's a Johnson 7.5.

7.5 is a model number or "trade name". It doesn't say "Horsepower" on it
for the last 50 years! They USED to say HORSEPOWER on them, long ago,
until someone pointed out that was a lie....maybe the FTC?

I owned an Evinrude 55, 3-cylinder outboard on a tri-hull runabout. A
friend had an Evinrude 70, 3-cylinder outboard a few years newer.

We couldn't find any difference...

I call it "Numeric Inflation"....same phenomenon as in consumer stereo
equipment.