JimH

Default Please Help Fix My Mistake

"supsand" wrote in message
ps.com...
I just bought a new 18 ft. runabout. It was a 2005 model that the
dealer had for a year. The boat was stored outside but under a large
canopy.

On our first trip out we scratched the bow area of the boat due to
inexperience in docking. I desparetly wanted them gone and tried the
following:

1. Cleaned with hull cleaner.
2. Used 3M compound.
3. Used 3M wax.

My first mistake was not reading this newsgroup first and getting
advice!!! My second was the compound. The hull is black and I freaked
out at the amount of black paint coming off on the white rag. The wax
made it look better but it definately doesn't look new. Now I could
care less about the scratches, I just want my new boat back. Did I ruin
the gelcoat?

Any opinions welcome. You can even call me a dummy cause I sure feel
like one!!!

Thanks.

As Gene said the gelcoat is repairable. Either call the dealer to see if
they stock or can order an OEM repair kit......or try Spectrum
Colors.....they are on the net.