posted to rec.boats.electronics
Don Mahony

Default Windlass Wiring Question

I was considering this option as the price is a lot lower than marine
grade and my son is in the car sudio business. Have you or anyone else
actually used this wire in this application?

Don

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:54:38 -0400, Larry wrote:

Don Mahony wrote in
:

The total run from the battery to the windlass and return is 72 feet.

Precisely why the wire is #4 for the long run. #10 is fine for very short
distances, like inside the windlass.

Shhh....don't tell anyone I told you this....#4 wire from the car stereo
shop, or even #2, is LOTS cheaper and works just great!

400% profit doesn't make it work better....(c;

Also try welding cables, which come in these smaller sizes #2 and #4.

Tell your yachtie friends you only used the most expensive "marine grade"
wire from the finest chandlers on the planet....so they don't snub you on
the dock.