Bert Robbins

Default Relevance of length of vehicle to safe trailer towing

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Harry
We just towed our 31 foot ChrisCraft from North Carolina to Florida with

full size Dodge 1500... Looked like a mouse with and elephant up it's
butt... But it got the job done...

Total length was 51 1/2 feet... 38 of that was the trailer and boat.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know...size matters.

But I'd appreciate it if someone would explain why the length of a
towing vehicle...pickup truck or whatever...seems to matter in towing a
boat.

I was looking at a shortbed truck today, and one of my trailerboating
buddies said, "Hey...get the long bed model...it tows better."

Assuming two vehicles weigh about the same, have the same engines and
transmissions, and so forth, and one simply is a foot or two longer than
the other...why would the longer vehicle be a "better" tower?

And how does one factor in tow vehicle width? Is it as important? Would
a wider footprint truck tow better than a narrower truck?

I don't tow long distances, or even at highway speeds, but I am
interested in the arcana of it all, so to speak.

So...who knows?

I don't.

Well, thanks. I'm still shopping for a tow vehicle for our Parker, but
strictly for short-distance tows, and not on Interstates. I'm looking at
used trucks with around an 8000 pound tow capacity, but I really don't
want a full-size pickup truck. My guess is that the Parker rig itself is
close to 33 or 35' long, what with the bow pulpit, the engine bracket
and the trailer tongue.

Get an older F-150 with the straight six.