Lawrence James

Default engine mount repair help

I made replacement stringers from that new composite deck material. My
engine mounts were ajacent to the stringers. The wood inside the engine
mounts was pretty soft but I just drilled holes down into then from the top.
Fed an air line of a compressor set to about 15lbs into it for a few days to
dry it. Then poured thinned epoxy into it multiple times until it wouldn't
take any more.

" Tuuk" wrote in message
Stringer replacement isn't that bad,,, simply remove the engine (well not
that simple) but get a mini grinder, cut all the old rotten stringers

out,,,
let it dry for a few days,, the get some hardwood (some suggest soft wood,

would like to hear others suggestions of this) and replace the wood,, then
fiberglass the crap out of it,, remember your measurements and tolerances
and put the engine back in. You know for a few extra thousand dollars you
can beef up that transom, apply an Armstrong backet from
http://www.armstrongnautical.com/Repower.htm

and then you can re-engineer a beautiful new boat,, depends on how long

you
plan to own the boat for. I had first hand experience with this and it was
well,, well worth the costs and efforts. Think of the room gained in the
back, think of the weight benefit. The engine you will replace, probably
weighs 1000lbs (approx) and you can replace it with a 400lb outboard. Then
the Aluminum Bracket (weights 60lbs) has an air tank that adds near 480lbs
boeyency.

Anyway,, funds dictate what you will do, so if your comfortable with
fiberglass work,,, replace your stringers yourself,, if that system is 30
years old,,, and you plan to keep the boat forever,,, and say have 200 to
400 hours per year usage,,, and reliability is a factor,,, well lots to
think about,,,
good luck

"trent" wrote in message
I have a 1986 wellcraft 186 american that I'm restoring. Can anyone tell
me what is the best way to approach a hollow engine mount. I'm tearing
the floor out to replace it. I would like to know what the best way to
tackle this. replace the whole stringer or just a section. Any help
would be appreciated