Lawrence James

Default Blown head gasket or what...?

Check for cracks on the sides of the lifter valley of the block. That is a
common point for cracks when the engine is not winterized and freezes.

You can pressure check the system by clamping something inside the hoses.

"Proxy" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
1. The oil is not clear but rather milky. The oil level is much higher

then
it should be - about 2 inches on a dipstick higher then "full". This is

the
first oil after reviving the engine (see below) so I'm not sure whether to
attribute milkiness to water leftovers or blown gasket. the oil level

though
is something new.
2. checked the impeller and looks fine, not damaged , no burn marks or
anything unusual
3. the water was coming out quite steadily also steam was present
4. there is rust in the intake below carb, there is also a rust streak

from
s. plug no.4 downwards indicating the water could have been leaking from
this plug socket
5. I bought this boat with a seized engine, I soaked it, unseized, ran it
several times (never on water), starts and runs OK. When I unseized it I
cranked out lot of water from the cylinders (min. 1 liter). What I did was

great success, no mechanic has ever given me any hope. It has stunned
everyone. I also unseized another boat of mine (20 ft.) using the same
method. Engine runs but the compression is at 60/70 on 2 cyl. so I know I
need to hone and replace rings on it, to say the least. I took both as a
challenge, bought them and had them running within a month. The idea was

keep both in different locations so I could enjoy some diversity while
vacationing.

What baffles me is that except for compression test (unexpectedly high) I
have all indications of blown head gasket. I have removed risers and
manifolds, cleaned them to perfection, installed new gaskets. If it was a
riser gasket water concentration would be rather equally spread over the
side rather then 1 cylinder

Since this is a boat engine I cannot pressurize cooling system easily. I
thought of pressurizing the suspected cylinder but couldn't find any
inexpensive tool or method of doing it.