AMPowers

Default West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

Thomas,

I think your experience with West Marine is not typical of their stores
overall. I do agree that there are some employees that have little
sailing experience or may not have been well trained, but I've found
that on the whole many of their employees were very knowledgeable and
offered good advice. I believe they also have a very good policy
regarding returns, and that they stand behind the products they sell.

I would also point out that the employees who work there do so for a few
pennies above minimum wage. Most are there not for a "McJob" but
because the employee discount makes it worth their while to do so, which
means they usually have a boat, which greatly increases the odds that
they do, in fact, know something about the boating world and the
products they sell.

Others in this thread have also pointed out the very high cost compared
to website vendors. While I've no doubt what so ever that you can find
many better deals by shopping the web, I would point out that the reason
you should use their store is primarily customer service. If you are
unsatisfied with it then let the manager know, and/or contact West
Marine corporate directly.

I too have encountered folks at West Marine who didn't know anything
about the obscure bottom paint question I had, but I've also found that
simply asking the manager directly will get the job done. And if you
still can't get an answer to your boating questions, they also have an
800 number (see their website) where you can ask for technical support
from qualified employees.

Cheers,

Robb

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Yesterday afternoon I stopped at a West Marine Store .. have you been to one
of these stores lately? The help ( wait,, I just typed "help" ,, there want
no "help" ) walk around with ear plugs, talking into a mike as if they were
police at a crime scene. And what do they say to each other?

"John, do we carry anchors"? ... "John, what is a GPS"? ..... "John, there
is a guy here looking for a piece of hardware, what is hardware"?

I kid you not. It is laugh a minute nuts.

But the best part is the check-out lady. She carries on a conversation with
herself as she tries to figure out how to ring up sales.

"Come on computer, I know this is right, it didn't do this yesterday, what
am I doing wrong ,,, please swipe your card again and again and again ,,
where did you find that thing ,,, I hope they turn off the GPS that is
talking to me ,,, oh well, do you have cash".

I asked one clerk to show me a GPS handheld unit. He was busy talking into
the secret microphone. Then he looked up and said "I don't know anything
about these things, and John is busy trying to turn off the security alarm
so it might be awhile before you get any help".

HELP?

West Marine ,,, pass at your own risk