posted to rec.boats.building
Brian D

Default Stitch and Glue

The only reason that I said it's OK to use is because the boat is so small
and light, and the horsepower that you'll use is so low. Chopped mat is
made from omnidirectional fibers, only a smaller percentage of which are in
a direction that will help you. For any boat requiring more strength, I'd
recommend the usual 9-oz fiberglass tape (etc etc as the boat gets bigger,
faster, more powerful, or heavier). But in your case, I would think you'll
be fine using anything you want short of leaving the seams unglassed at all.
That's just my opinion. Take it for what you paid for it.

Brian

"David" wrote in message
Yep agree it would be lighter but I like the rough finish as the bottom of
a boat can be slippery indeed was intending to use it from the side seams
and put it all over the bottom if the dinghy (inside that is), no dont own
any chop on hand and have not a clue on the weight, just that it is a
bugger to wet out as you need more resin to soak in.
lushy
"Brian D" wrote in message
. ..
You'd be fine with that, but why? The glass tape would go on lighter and
smoother IMHO. I'm betting you already own the stuff ...but for $30 in
tape, you'd have far more than you need and it'd be easier to finish
nicely. How heavy is your chopped-strand sheet (oz/yd)?

Brian

"David" wrote in message
Is it sound to use chop strand sheet cut to 10cm wide to use instead of
fibreglass tape in a 12 ft Dinghy - will be powered by 2.5 hp outboard
or electric trolling motor, i have used this on a canoe which is holding
up well after 2 years of use???
i was planning to cover the whole interior with the stuff anyway.
Dave Lush
Australia