posted to rec.boats.electronics
Russell

Default Power cord ground terminal grounded to thru-hulls

When I asked my original question, I had no idea that there is no
apparent consensus on how to wire a boat for safety and for galvanic
corrosion protection. Maybe those are mutually exclusive. Not being an
electrical engineer, or electrician, just a long-time boat owner, I
would not know which of all these conflicting replys to trust. And a
search of Boat.us and the ABYC also indicates more confusion. Is there
no governing body, such as UL, with a scientific, well reasoned
approach? What about brand new quality boats? How does Viking, Hatteras
or Cabo do it? All three of those manufacturers are lauded for their
wiring systems installations.
Russell
krj wrote:
chuck wrote:
Larry wrote:

wrote in news:1150426885.033779.258180
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

If the water heater is not
bonded to the engine ground you get zapped!

(click!) The GFCI just trips. Noone gets zapped.

Another case to make dock GFCIs MANDATORY at all marinas.

If the water heater is on a 250/125 volt circuit there can be no GFCI.

Do you see a lot of water heaters operating at 125 volts?

News==----
Newsgroups

There are a lot of 6 to 12 gallon hot 125 volt water heaters on sailboats.
krj