Rod McInnis

Default Blown head gasket or what...?

"Proxy" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Hi All,
I own a Bayliner with a V8 OMC 5L engine. I noticed, when running the

engine
with hose attached, that the exhaust fumes contain quite a lot of steam.

That is not unusual or unexpected.

PS. the engine starts and runs OK, just like nothing happened.

I think that you may be concerned over nothing.

Steam coming from the exhaust is not unusual. The combustion of gasoline
produces a lot of water vapor. On a car the exhaust is usually so hot that
the water comes out in the form of superheated steam and you don't see it.
An exception is right after you start and the exhaust pipe is still cold.

On your boat, the water cooling of the exhaust cools it down enough that the
superheated steam cools to become saturated steam and then you see it. In
addition, the water is cooling very hot exhaust manifolds and even more
steam is generated.

When you run the boat on the lake the saturated steam enters the water,
cools and condenses so that you don't see it while idling.

Your compression results are high enough that I can assure you that you
don't have a blown head gasket.

Based on what you have described I don't see any indication of there being a
problem. Put your boat back together and go boating!

Rod