posted to rec.boats.building

Default Remove or Not Remove Partially Cured Epoxy?

Thanks for pointing this out. Sound like I have a hopeless case on my
hand. OK, I just have to treat it as a learning experience.

Jay Chan

derbyrm wrote:
I think there's some confusion between polyester resin and epoxy.

As someone else pointed out, with polyester, the hardener is a
catalyst/accelerator and the resin will eventually cure.

As I understand epoxy, it is the combination of the chemicals in the resin
and those in the hardener. Too few of the hardener molecules and you'll
never end up with actual epoxy, only with a slurry of cured epoxy and
uncured resin molecules looking for their mates. It will not be very
strong.

I'd suggest you start scraping.

Roger (sorry)

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

wrote in message
oups.com...
Glad to hear that there is some hope. OK, I will wait a week or two to
give it a chance. Meanwhile, I can always work on something else or go
fishing on a rental boat. If after two weeks my finger nail still can
make a dent on the epoxy, I will remove it.