DSK

Default A visit with an interesting guy who builds an interesting boat....

wrote:

Looks kind of neat.

reminds me of a cross between a tug and a sailboat.

Speaking of... could a person just about accomplish the same thing by
modifying a diesel powered sailboat minus rigging and cutting off, or
at least... down the keel skeg?

Yes, but Wayne's point about rolling is one to keep in mind.
I know of a couple such "conversions," the biggest is 44'
and quite a successful cruiser. The owner/designer did not
take the sailing rig completely off, but shortened it
considerably (to about 1/3 maybe) and took about 1/2 off the
ballast keel. Doesn't roll any worse than a conventional
power boat, better than many in fact. IMHO this is due to
the higher center of gravity after losing the ballast,
combined with higher reserve stability than most motorboats,
and some damping due to the remaining fin keel & skeg. I'd
rate her as much safer for rough weather than the average
power boat of that size/displacement.

It's quite a nice boat, and much more practical (also to my
eye, better looking) than the original. Whether she is a
trawler or a motorsailor is open to debate.

A smaller example is the Albin 27 which was marketed as a
diesel motor cruiser, and also a motor sailor.

Fair Skies- Doug King