posted to rec.boats.building
Ed Edelenbos

Default Making a rudder and dagger-board (newbie)

wrote in message
ups.com...

Ed Edelenbos wrote:
Wasn't this for a Snark? Go get a couple lengths of antenna pole and be
done with it. All that epoxying and stuff is more than the boat is
worth.

Ed

I've never seen antenna mast that was 2-3/8" diameter, which is the
size of a stock mast. Closest thing I've found so far is 2" (nominal)
aluminum pipe. Schedule 40 has a .154" wall thickness.

As for "more than the boat is worth", isn't that a rather subjective
statement? Mind you, I'm new to this sailing thing, but it's the only
sailing boat I've got and likely will be for some time, so I've got to
make the best of it.

Maybe you have a different Snark than I have. Mine uses a 1" diameter
aluminum mast. It is similar to:

http://www.castlecraft.com/super_snark.htm

I'm just saying that unless you got into the hobby to work on boats (a fine
hobby in it's own right), a lot of the work described here (so far) would
take the up a good deal of the season (and I would reserve for a much nicer
boat). I just want to go for boat rides in my boats. Repair and
maintainance is a necessity... not the impetus for owning boats.

As long as you are having fun... have at it!

Ed