posted to rec.boats.racing
Matt Colie

Default Tacking

Steve,

Wind is always shifting, unless you in the trades well away from land.

Most places that people sail the wind oscillates. 10-15d is not
uncommon. When fighting to weather, watch the you compass. You will
see this variation, then watch for a swing that is bigger and hangs
longer than the rest. I am not sure how to tell you mor without using a
boat (I've never successfully taught sailing.)

Go get a book, Look up the Bill Gladstone books and when you have
digested those, keep looking and sailing. Go out sailing when you don't
want to, like those days with light wind - but stay away from
thunderstorms if you want to ever be an old sailor.

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e" S2-7.9 #1
Lifelong Waterman, Licnesed Mariner and Congenital Sailor

Stephen Page wrote:

Thank you one and all for the guidance on tacking. What's the best to
read up some more? Also is tacking on a wind shift the thing I need to
get nailed down first and foremost? If so, how do you read a
wind-shift?

Best wishes
Steve