Mikkilla

Default Outboards - 2 vs 4 Cycle

The new EPA laws that are coming up i belive 2006 any new Outboard to be sold
in the USA is to be four stroke or meet Low emmison like the yamaha HPI.
Nothing wrong with either engine. 2 strokes great Power to weight ratio.
4stroke great gph. and with the rising fuel prices. which in effect will in
turn raise 2stroke oil prices up too. I say the one that saves you the most
money down the road.
But grant it all new models will have some bugs with em and a few of the
outboard company kinda of let the public find the little problems for em. Which
they have done in the past with 2strokes. Funny thing is i use to work for a
small dealership we loved the four strokes and after 10years with them and the
owners retired, The new company that took over and had like about 4 other shops
in the state had thier heads in the sand about 4strokes and refused to send the
Mech's to the update semniars and schools. So as for the next couple of years
its a matter of choice.
In article ,
says...

In smaller shops they people talk like 4 cycles are a disaster waiting to
happen. The larger ones seem to think they are the best thing since sliced
bread. What is the truth.