Tom G

Default new decking and carpet for pontoon boat?

wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 18:53:43 GMT, "Tom G"
wrote:

I'm replacing the carpeting and a couple of rotted deck boards on my
pontoon
boat. Marine plywood is pretty much hard to get around here but I can get
MDO plywood (Medium Density Overlay) which has a resin impregnated
(Paper?)
layer on each side. This stuff works great for outdoor signs, etc and
lasts
virtually forever. However the carpet guy is telling me that the carpet
adhesive won't work with it because "nothing sticks to it". I've queried
the mfg of the adhesive and they don't seem to have a good idea of what
MDO
is either. The carpet guy even tried to tell me that paint wouldn't stick
to it. Years ago I had a commercial outdoor sign painted using it and it
lasted for years with no noticeable weathering or paint loss. So, has any
one had experience using it and applying carpet or glue to it. The
Exterior
plywood I've found is really bad quality.

Tom G.

I put my boat together with MDO in 1989 and it is still doing fine. I
run in salt water 12 months a year. If I rebuild I will use MDO again.
The only place I have ever had a spungy spot was right on an edge
around the outside. It was caused by a hole I didn't seal after I
drilled it. The only weak spot is in drilled holes and the edges of
the panels where water can get to the wood. The MDO is bulletproof.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I've had to go with the exterior
plywood to get the job done. What I've read on the internet at a plywood
site, indicated the MDO should work but only if coated with paint to protect
it and the carpet glue specifically says that it can't be applied over
paint.

Tom G