Rosalie B.

Default Marina Etiquette

"Bill Kearney" wrote:

We were taught to assess probability (how likely something was to
happen) and hazard (how severe the problem would be if it happened).

Well, arguing probability doesn't make a shred of sense when you're talking
about a simple situation like this one. Effectively hard-wiring a live
electrical cord on a pier is both stupid and a violation of the electrical
code, not to mention common sense. Choosing this as a foundation for
arguing logic doesn't make much sense.

The probability in question was for if the live end of the cord fell
into the water. Roger's scenario had someone jumping into the water
after it, and then someone going in to rescue them. I can totally
agree that people who have no skills will often try to rescue someone
and die in the futile attempt. Happens a lot, especially in confined
space accidents.

I was questioning whether, since the cord is tied down to the pier,
the cord would not be most likely pulled out of the water from the
pier without jumping in.

Yes the screwing shut the box with the cord attached is stupid and a
violation of code, but Roger fixed that by unscrewing the box and
unplugging the cord.

I don't think anything more than that is needed until such time as
someone talks to the marina and/or the boater.