Rosalie B.

Default Marina Etiquette

"Bob" wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:

This whole post is a cheap shot. "Bob"

is not at issue here, and neither is...
I would definitely expect a 12 yo to be at least as able to figure out...

And 0-18 years? Get real. At 0 years they aren't going
to be running around the docks and they should be capable of thought

well before 18 years.

I have a good understanding of child development and reductio ad
absurdum arguments do not cut it with me. Whether I use smoke
detectors or not is irrelevant. (Yes I do use them but I do not cook)
Not having a life guard at a pool is never something I have ever
recommended, and it has nothing to do with the need for a parent to
take care of children when they are toddlers on a dock.

I have 4 children and 11 grandchildren, I was a school teacher in
middle school for 7 years, I coached an age group swim team for 7
years and I have studied Piaget. Having formal operational reasoning
is not a pre-requisite for knowing that you can pull a cord up out of
the water without going into the water.

Yes the hazard isn't too great for public safety if the marina end of
the cord is in the water, but I don't think it is good for the
equipment (which in the instance I cited belonged to the marina and
not to the boater).

I think the main hazard that Roger cited would be to people who had a
legitimate reason to be in the water (like divers working on a prop)
and who did not know that the cord was in the water or if the cord
fell in while they were working.

We were taught to assess probability (how likely something was to
happen) and hazard (how severe the problem would be if it happened).
In this case the severity if the breakers did not trip would be very
great, but the probability would be low. You can think of almost any
scenario where there is a possibility of something happening. That
doesn't mean that it is probable. Unplugging the marina end of the
cord removes the hazard so that the probablity is almost moot.

Sounds as though you lack a basic understanding of child development.
Go to

http://www.childdevelopmentinfo.com/...t/piaget.shtml

for a basic tutorial and read a bit. Interesting thing about Piaget.
The idea is decades old yet, today new brain scan technology supports
all of Piaget's work. And do not forget that most of our brains are
not completely wired until about age 20.

When was the last time you went to a public swimming pool?
To follow your line of though there is no need for lifeguards at pools
because kids should know better to walk not run and will always behave
in a safe manner.

And as I said befo So when was the last time you made a mistake? I
guess you better get rid of those smoke detectors because you'll
never leave anything on the stove and boil a pot dry.

Did you raise any kids or do you get your child raising ideas Rush
Limbaugh?