DSK

Default Small Craft Advisory

JimH wrote:
We have all heard the warning from NOAA weather........'small craft
advisory'.

So what exactly is a small craft?

There isn't an exact definition. One couold say, "A vessel
which would be at hazard due to size & design when small
craft warnings are issued" but that is rather circular.

One dividing line in vessel size is 12 meters (about 40
feet) LOA. Below that length, boats don't need certain
lights or safety equipment, above that size the requirements
are bit more stringent.

The best I can find on the net is a boat under 65 feet LOA. However, I
would guess anything over 40 feet or so would be able to handle some
*modest* small craft warning seas.

Side note: Conditions that meet a "Small Craft Advisory":
From http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/cwd.htm
SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY: To alert mariners to sustained (more than two hours)
weather or sea conditions, either present or forecast, that might be
hazardous to small boats.

Depending on the boat and the boater, some small craft are
hazardous in the calmest weather.

One issue that doesn't seem to occur to many people is the
difference that overal condition & equipment makes; as well
as type of boat. Entering the world of power boating from
sailing, I have been surprised at how overconfident power
boaters are.

Sailboats are designed to lean way over... or even roll
over... and come back up. They are built with the intention
that water will be cascading over the deck & hatches. Power
boats have much narrower ranges of stability & reserve
bouyancy, and very few power boaters seem to be aware of
this (or even knowledgable about what the characteristics
are). I've had a lot of fun sailing and racing 14' sailboats
in weather that I would not intentionally take our 36'
trawler out in.

Fair Skies
Doug King