posted to rec.boats.building
Andrew Butchart

Default Making a rudder and dagger-board (newbie)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Andrew Butchart wrote:
There's a couple of different ways to make a kick-up rudder. The most
common is to use a case with the rudder on a pivot in the middle.

There's a
couple of pictures of one I built at
http://www.floatingbear.ca/MiniCupModifications.htm. You may also want

check out Jim Michelak's free online newsletters for more ideas -
http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/

BTW - I've used barn-boards (1 X 12 pine) that is easily available to me

as
rudders and daggerboards and they've been inexpensive and worked well.

--
Andrew Butchart

Now, that looks like a fairly simple design. What did you use for the
sides of the rudder box? Luan, or marine plywood? Or something else?
And what did you finish the wood with? Also, what would make an
inexpensive substitute for a hockey stick for a tiller? Does it have to
be hardwood, or would more of the "barn board" work? And what did you
use for hinges? It looks like the hinge hookups on the Snark are two
metal tabs with holes drilled through them vertically, like one long
pin (or 2 short ones) is supposed to drop through them. Thanks!

I just used 1/4" luan for the sides of the rudder box. I coat the inside of
the box with resin (I use polyester - epoxy is better though - although more
expensive). The rudder itself got coated with resin and then painted with
rust pain.

One thing I like about old hockey sticks for tillers is not only are they
free and available here in Canada, but the better ones include fiberglass
laminates. A lot of people use axe handles for a tiller as well - I've
sailed on a boat with one of those and they're quite comfortable in your
hand.

There are lots of ways to attach the rudder to the boat - it sounds like you
have a typical gudgeon and pintle arrangement. You might want to check out
Duckworks -
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/p-g/index.htm

You could also consider putting two small eye-bolts on the front of your
rudder box spaced so they fit between the metal tabs. A piece of metal rod
through can then act as a pivot. I have a blurry picture of one I built
like that at - http://www.floatingbear.ca/sailingfi...gue/000833.JPG

--
Andrew Butchart