posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett

Default antenna coupler question

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:48:42 -0500, "RB"
wrote:

The Eagle ELC-1 and Lowrance LC-1 loran antenna coupler modules each have a
4 pin plug at the end of the long pigtail cable.

Their pinout for the 4 pin plug is:

1 ground
2 XMIT
3 12vdc+
4 recv

Ground I understand. 12vdc+ I understand. RECV I understand. What I
don't understand is XMIT. What function does this wire play ? What would
be transmitted from a loran set?

I can't find any evidence of these products on Lowrance's or Eagle's
web sites...

I wonder if these are in fact Loran-C receivers rather than just
antenna couplers (like the GPS antenna/receiver modules)?

If they were just antenna couplers, I would expect them to just have a
coax cable, not a multi-conductor cable.

If they are receiver/antenna modules, then I'd expect NMEA-0183 data
from either pin 2 or 4 ("receive" and "transmit" can be confusing at
times...) when 12 volt power is applied between pins 3 and 1. The
navigation computer in the display unit could send configuration data
to the receiver ("use chain 5990X and Y" type of commands), while the
LC-1 outputs current position, speed and direction of travel.

It may be worthwhile contacting Lowrance or Eagle directly to see if
anyone there can find anything on these units.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca