posted to rec.boats.electronics
Vinny

Default Testing VHF antenna with ohm meter

I don't have a real good reason for suspecting the antenna except
that theDC resistance I measure is strange. I would expect it to be open
circuit or low resstance, not a few Meg ohms.
The VHF seems to receive OK and when I transmit, I know there
is power being generated beause it interferes with my portable
FM radio. Bu when I call for a radio check, I don't get a response.
It's an old antenna, it was on the boat when I bought it. There's no
markings left on it but it has a blue and green pin stripe near the base
which I think is shakespeare (sp?)

"chuck" wrote in message
Vinny wrote:
Hello,

I suspect that my VHF antenna is shot, I think it's open circuit.

I'm looking for a quick and easy way to verify it with an ohm meter.

I know that the 50 ohm impedance is an AC impedance

at RF frequencies. But I'm guessing a DC ohm meter should

measure something between a few 10s of ohms to a few hundreds

of ohms if the antenna was good.

I'm measuring ~ 10 meg ohms.

Time for a new antenna?

Thanks in advance,

Vin

Why do you suspect the antenna is shot?

Are you measuring at the end of 70 feet of coax
attached to the antenna or directly at the antenna
terminals?

Chuck

News==----

Newsgroups