Alan Gomes

Default Leak ,,, raining ,,, leak

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
news:Jwzig.190$891.44@trndny01...
Roger ,,, did you take up the chainplate covers the 2 inches that they
will come up and dig, clean, rebed etc?

and What did you use for sealant?

On my old 27 footer I used a polysulfide caulk for a sealant. However, the
problem was that after sailing the boat for a short while it would work and
there would be enough of a gap between the sealant and the chainplate for
water to get in. It seemed like a never-ending battle.

On my C30 I had a bit of a leak with one of the chainplates but this time
used butyl tape. This stuff stays pliable pretty much indefinitely and I've
had no reoccurrance of the leak--so far. Of course, it's a different boat so
the comparison is not exactly "scientific."

I'd give the butyl tape a try and see if that takes care of it for you. You
could always go with the polysulfide caulk later. I'd avoid silicone as it's
difficult to remove later, and at some point you will need to remove it.

Alan Gomes