~^ beancounter ~^

Default Preparing a Catalina 27 for offshore

wow Mic...very interesting reading...what a voyage !!...

Mic wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:09:34 GMT, (Mic) wrote:

LINK:
http://cruisenews.net/cgi-bin/docksi...fig.pl/read/78

http://www.smallcraftadvisor.com/con...ness/index.htm

" SCA: In order of importance, what features or characteristics would
be present in a small (25-feet or under) sailboat of your own design
that you would willingly take off-shore?

BAKER: In rough order of importance:
1.Unsinkable - using solid flotation if possible, such as thick foam
core. 2. Fixed keel
3. Easily reefed
4. Fully watertight companionway
5. Enclosed cockpit (i.e. full lifelines)
6. Full height lifelines (27")
7. The ability to self-right from at least 125 degrees of roll (180
preferable but hard to achieve)
9. Sealed mast with external halyards (to help with self-righting
ability)
10. Enough headroom to at least sit upright while on the head (an
under-rated characteristic).
11. Sailable (and preferably sailed) by 3 or 4 maximum.
12. Fast enough to get out of trouble (also an under-rated
characteristic)
13. Open accommodations to avoid claustrophobia
14. Large enough berths (6'4" minimum) for all crew.
15. Real head with holding tank, chemical toilets just don't hack it
in a storm
16. Watermaker
17. SSB
18. All items required for a Class I Offshore race as defined by ORC,
if not already included. A life raft is a really comfortable thing to
have around, but difficult in 25ft. I realize I would probably have to
work very hard to get all this into 25ft, but I'd love to try. "

http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...PJvshwL8r72gDA
systems modifications for safe offshore passaging. will be discussed

http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin133.html

This is a short but fairly concise descriptions of the modifications
to a production boat Cal 25 made by Dave Martin.

http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin.html
Lots of practical opinions.....

http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin_arc.html
http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin_arc2.html

http://books.boatdesign.net/boat/boo...88&l ocale=us
Books : The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat
"Editorial Review:

Book Description:
Most owners of cruising sailboats wonder whether their boats are
suitable for an offshore passage, be it across the Gulf of Maine or
the Pacific Ocean, and if not, whether they can be made suitable.
Vigor then tells the reader how to get there, covering structural
modifications and reinforcements as well as rigging, fittings, engine,
systems, and gear. "

Mic 67