otnmbrd

Default Small Craft Advisory

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in
:

We have all heard the warning from NOAA weather........'small craft
advisory'.

So what exactly is a small craft?

The best I can find on the net is a boat under 65 feet LOA. However,
I would guess anything over 40 feet or so would be able to handle some
*modest* small craft warning se

\
Personally, I'd say that there is no one set rule to describe "small
craft".
The warning gives you a general "heads-up", but your own reaction to it
depends on your own abilities, your boat's abilities and the conditions
that the locale you are boating in, dictate, plus the reason you are out
there in the first place.
I once owned a 14' catboat that I sailed around the waters of Boston
Harbor, Quincy Bay, etc. ...... we looked forward to "small craft"
warnings, as this particular boat just loved 25-30k winds.
However, at the same time, I've also run boats of the 65' range that you'd
stay tied to the dock under these conditions, because of their age,
stability, sea-keeping.......

otn