JimH

Default Small Craft Advisory

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:44:27 -0400, JimH penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

The point of my story.......we passed at least a dozen boats (in the 21 to
30 foot range) drift fishing in those seas!

Your point is well taken... and proven by centuries of safe boating!
Not all boats are created equal. What sails across the water is a
combination of sailor and boat.... and there are different grades of
each.

As I have made a point of saying on MANY occasions... each boat is a
trade-off. Your safest rough water boat won't be the roomiest or most
accommodating... but it might be the one most likely to make port
safely in bad conditions...

Speed and expertise in rough water handling also makes for safe
passage...

As in computer usage..... accomplishing the task is a function of the
combination of hardware AND expertise.... cast off and.... well,
YMMV....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Although Lyman's were engineered for the sometimes rough conditions on Lake
Erie (displacement hull), our friend's boat did not pass the test during
this passage. ;-)