Bryan

Default Small Craft Advisory

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
We have all heard the warning from NOAA weather........'small craft
advisory'.

So what exactly is a small craft?

The best I can find on the net is a boat under 65 feet LOA. However, I
would guess anything over 40 feet or so would be able to handle some
*modest* small craft warning seas.

Consider it fair warning to anyone operating a vessel for personal pleasure
regardless of size, but 65 feet sounds reasonable.

The size of the vessel shouldn't be the key. In the past I sailed in small
craft advisory weather almost as a rule, but the sailboats I used were
designed and equipped for all conditions short of hurricanes and I had
received training for such conditions. I sure as hell wouldn't take my
little powerboat out in small craft conditions because it's not designed or
equipped for such conditions and I'm not trained to use it that way.