posted to rec.boats.racing
Matt Colie

Default Tacking

Stephen,

Any tack costs speed and they should be avoided when not required.

Three reasons to tack:
1- You must to make the mark (your VMG-WCV has gone to zero)
2- You are about to run out of water/wind if you continue
3- Tactical requires that you cover the competion

Yes, it really is just that simple.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licnsed Mariner and Pathological Sailor

Stephen Page wrote:

Newbie on board but let me seek your advice and guidance, if I may,
folks.

When going upwind, what tacking method wins races and why? One long
tack or several short tacks? For the sake of my understanding, let's
talk in terms of the windward mark being dead upwind of the start line
and a constant wind speed and direction.

Best wishes
Steve