trainfan1

Default Cooling Problem w/ 4.3 GL vovlo I/O

landshrk4 wrote:

I am going to purchase a couple of plugs and install them to see if
there are any other pending (hidden) issues. I had been told that I
could get expansion plugs from a local parts dealer that are expandable
by way of a bolt instead of the "tap in" types that would be supplied
by Volvo (or aftermarket). Has anyone used these types of plugs? Can
anyone recommend how to replace the plug that is behind the motor
mount? It would be much easier to take it to a local repair shop but I
want to do the work myself.... how else am I to learn the
fundamentals?

The rubber expansion plugs will work, to a point. In a marine
environment, I would only use them to diagnose any further issues on a
test basis, which I have done, because they have a probability of
popping out, which will very quickly fill the bilge to a dangerous level
with very little advance notice. No typical bilge pump would be able to
keep up.

If you can somehow extract the obstructed view/access one, you can
probably slip a temporary plug in blind, tighten & test, otherwise you
are looking at pulling the engine twice if you go rubber, once if you go
with the brass to start & luck out with no other issues at re-start.

Which brings us back to the initial failure - did you get ALL rubber
fragments/parts out of the engine & drive when changing the impeller?
If you can account for all parts, do the brass plugs and hope that the
block is not cracked.

Did you have any kind of low temperature alert or alarm in your storage
area?

Rob