posted to rec.boats.building
Ed Edelenbos

Default Making a rudder and dagger-board (newbie)

Hell, I used exterior 1/2" ply. I filled any edge voids with wood putty and
then put 4 or 5 coats of polyurethane on. It isn't like it's going to be in
the water for any long periods of time... Just store it in a dry place.

Ed

--
When replying via email, replace spam with speak in the address.
"Mike Gardner" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dave W" wrote:

Exterior plywood will work just fine. To test what you have, heat a
small
piece in boiling water on the stove for ten minutes or so. If it
delaminates, keep it away from the boat.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, all. I have the hull for a Snark Sunchaser and I am trying to turn
it back into a sailing boat. The foreman at my shop just sold me the
sail and spars for a Sunfish for $10.00 (!!!) that could be easily
adapted to the boat (I still need a mast - $85 from the factory). I
also need a rudder and dagger-board, which are $175 and $100,
respectively, if I were to buy them. Marine plywood isn't cheap,
either. I already have 3 quarter-sheets of regular 5/8" thick plywood
laying around the garage. Is there any practical way I can make this
stuff work, at a lower cost than buying from the manufacturer or buying
marine wood? Or is there something else equally cheap that would work?
I am on a VERY tight budget!

I built a "dagger board" for my snark sunflower out of the best
exterior grade I could find in central illinois - found something with 5
plies in half inch ( sized used on the sunflower). I then put two coats
of epoxy on it. Worked fine.

--
Though posted through facilities afforded by UIUC, though my employer,
this post and the opinions herein are mine alone and have nothing