posted to rec.boats.racing
Gene Fuller

Default Tacking

Stephen,

If:

1. the wind is perfectly steady in speed and direction,
2. the wind is perfectly uniform across the course,
3. there is no current,
4. there are no other boats nearby,

then a single tack will generally be fastest. Tacking is usually slower
than traveling in a straight line.

If any of these conditions are not met, then multiple tacks may be
preferable. Learning when and how to make these decisions is what racing
is all about. Many books have been written on this topic, and it is
impossible to summarize all of the details.

One of the most basic strategies, however, is to take advantage of wind
shifts by tacking when it allows you to point closer to the direction of
the mark.

Regards,
Gene Fuller

Stephen Page wrote:
Newbie on board but let me seek your advice and guidance, if I may,
folks.

When going upwind, what tacking method wins races and why? One long
tack or several short tacks? For the sake of my understanding, let's
talk in terms of the windward mark being dead upwind of the start line
and a constant wind speed and direction.

Best wishes
Steve