posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

Default Have new laptop I need to connect GPS

The largest
majority of newer laptops don't seem to have a serial port and I don't
know how the output will work with a USB to Serial converter. Before I
found the USB GPS I tried several USB to Serial converters trying to get
my old Lowrance GPS to interface with my computer before I finally found
one that would work.

I've found great success using Keyspan's 19HS model. Seems like everything
works with it without problems. Can't say the same for various other serial
converters. I'm sure it has everything to do with the driver software. But
if you're shopping for a way to get serial converted into USB you can't go
wrong with the 19HS model.