Jeff

Default Questions about Propane wiring

GBM wrote:
"Jeff" wrote
I have a switch near the stove, and another at the breaker panel -
being a cat its appropriate to be able to shut it off from either
hull. Given that either of these two could momentarily shut off the
gas, it would seem that the only solution is to do all of the following:
a) never leave the stove unattended
b) appreciate what what happens if a switch is turned off and on
c) have a sniffer running whenever gas might be used
d) have a thermostatic shutoff on the stove

Have a problem with last one for an old stove!

Well, you do what you can. Obviously your problem can exist unless
you hardwire to the battery - its seems you need at least one switch.
I think of the second switch as a safety feature, increasing the
odds I'll turn off the solenoid, rather than a liability.

2. Propane Detectors

assuming you have spare switches, put the gas in series with the
sniffer, so you can sniff without gas, but can't turn on the gas
without the sniffer.

I don't like this - The detectors take a minute or so to initialize and
confirm things are safe. I want the detectors to be on and the area safe,
BEFORE I turn on the propane and light the stove. To do this, I should
probably connect sniffers to the main panel feed.

What I meant was to have the solenoid breaker off the sniffer breaker
such that you could turn on the sniffer first and wait for a minute
before turning on the gas, but you couldn't turn on the gas without
the sniffer. I don't know if the combination sniffer/solenoid switch
has a built in delay, but there's nothing stopping you from doing it
manually.

It seems to me that you don't like the thought of a switch panel that
might be misused. I must admit the on my previous boat, it was too
close to the settee, and on two occasions the fridge got turned off by
mistake, leading to some unpleasantness! Why not have a special panel
with a cover over it?