GBM

Default Questions about Propane wiring

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
Question#1-
My force 10 stove has thermocouple shut-offs at each burner which don't
allow fuel to flow if the flame goes out. My understanding is that this
is a requirement on all current marine propane devices , but you should
check.

This is the ideal situation if the devices are reliable. But, older propane
stoves don't have this feature.

If you use a switch with an indicator light built-in, you
shouldn't forget and leave the propane on.

True, but the question related to safeguarding against switching the power
off and then back on. The solenoid cuts off flow, the flame goes out, then
the flow comes back on with no flame. It happened to someone - Not me!

My soleniod switch/circuit picks up power from the cabin accessory
circuit, and the surveyors have had no quibbles with it.

That is reason for my question - I have seen many boats wired same as mine,
and it could be unsafe.

Direct wiring to the battery, rather than via the breaker panel, is
generally reserved for things like emergency bilge pumps and radios, if
then.

Don't see why radio would be direct connected, but bilge pump is a safety
device that needs it's own power. Perhaps propane solenoid is too?

GBM