surfnturf

Default newbie wanting to buy first boat: what to check for?

"gprimerib" wrote in message It's not free, it's
$1000 with a late '80s 75HP merc. But I think you
guys are on to something, I should probably spend a couple grand more
and get something a bit more 'modern' in a used boat. Thanks for the
info folks.

Hi gp,

Think you will find that $1000 is "free" in the boating world. I have done
something similar to that, and repaired / upgraded an I/O leg, transom,
stringers, repaires & repainted the hull, and only have the top left to do.
Engine does not need work.

Net result? A virtually new boat that will cost about 50% of retail. Will I
ever get my money out of it? No. Woul;d I do it again? Possibly.

But I do have a boat of a design and hull construction that I like.
Condition of hull and mechanicals is now AOK. learned a lot more about boats
than I knew before. And I was able to stage outlays of cash over a period of
years to match my ability to pay.

BUT, buying an almost free boat does not save money, unless you just drive
it until it craps out.

surfnturf