posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Default Capt Rob Spends $27,950 for a KIA!!!

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

There's "playing the market" and then there's investing in
it. However I wouldn't suggest Thom buy any stocks, or

even
a stock mutual fund, at his age. It's the best way to beat
inflation and grow capital over a long term, but that

means
a time horizon of 10 years +. If OTOH Thom is interested

in
long term capital growth, a no-load index fund would be

ideal.

Most banks will automatically roll over a CD and not

charge
a penalty to withdraw after the first period, so if you

know
you won't need the money for the next 30 days or 90 days,
that's one route. Make *sure* to ask specifically what the
bank policies are on this, and get it in writing. Another
possibility is a bond fund, either a tax-free or a US
Treasuries fund. Bond funds start paying interest the same
day you buy them, and they are very stable. The issue here
is the sales charge or load, which is why one should shop
around. Money can be pulled out of a mutual fund at any
time, so if "something" comes up, you're in clover.

I have money in mutual funds, from long ago. I also gave my
Son some money to 'play the market'. He's into that sort of
thing and knows what he's doing (unlike me). But I still
like the security of an insured CD.

Scotty