posted to rec.boats.building
sonofadocker

Default help with mercury controls

I have aquired two old boats with my water front home.
both are in the driveway on trailers. 1990 19 foot maxum no floor or
interior, 85 hp mercury force motor that runs fine. the controls are
mounted in the side of the boats interior. the engine connection is
about a dozen colored pig tail wires.

the second boat is worth using. 1988 starcraft 18 foot,it has a 70hp
mercury with controls. the lower end of the motor will not go into
gear. the motor connection is the round seven pin plug.

I want to use the starcraft boat and the 85hp mercury force motor from
the maxum boat.

If i use the 70hp controls i can adjust the throttle and shifting cable
to work. Since the electric wires are different does anyone know if the
85hp wires ends can be spliced onto the 70hp wire harness ?

this is my first boat. i can fix cars but never tinkered with boats.

appreciate any advise or a set of used 85hp mercury force controls.

thanks in advance

sonofadocker