posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

Default Hypalon paint or coating -- any experiences?

wrote:
I keep reading posts going back years where people say they're going to
try out one or another of the hypalon coatings/paints to spruce up an
old inflatable, but nobody ever gives an update.

So, have any of you ever used one of these coatings (west marine has a
paint, there's another two-stage sealer/topcoat, a two-part catalyzed
hypalon coating, etc.)? I've got a great old tender that still holds
air, but is cosmetically challenged (and leaves blue stains on the
crew's butts).

Thanks to all!

I have a business associate who owns an inflatable boats store. He
deals in some used boats, and also repairs older boats.

A couple of weeks ago I was in his place, and he had an inflatable that
looked like pure hell.
It had been painted with *something*, and the paint didn't turn out to
be as flexible as the
material underneath. It was cracked, chipped, dirty, and decidedly sad
looking. I was really surprised to learn that the totally un-bristol
cosmetic disaster belongs to a very successful yacht broker. Good
grief! What is he thinking? I don't know if he used a "proper" paint or
whether the available products are now improved, but that boat looked
so bad that if it were mine I'd toss it into the dumpster and shop for
something a lot less shameful looking.