posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Ewan Scott

Default What's been Happeining.

On Mon, 08 May 2006 08:44:38 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

muzz wrote:
Through the winter I managed
to attend some pool sessions but didn't quite get my rolling sorted.

Having observed quite a few folk (including me) learning, with some it
does take a while but it usually "clicks" at some point and then it's
sorted. Once you've got it sorted in the pool then a surfing expedition
in your I3 (just in small stuff!) is a good way to get used to rolling
in anger as there's a /very/ good chance of going over, and in any case
it's good practice for landing the touring boat through surf. Your
braces and rudders will get a /lot/ better!

Inded it does just click. It doesn't seem to mater how hard we try to
explain or demonstrate or sit and watch rolling videos, people
generally can't roll until it clicks.

I've gop the the stage that we tell them they are going to do a guided
roll, we set them up and and we guide the paddle out. They
automatically scull/brace/hipflick and roll up.

It give them a feel for what they might be looking for.

Oddly though, once they can roll and they start analysing what they
are doing, it all goes to pot again for a couple of weeks :-)

Ewan Scott