JohnH

Default Jacksonville Marinas

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:14:51 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Jax ain't bad in the summer for Florida. Not nearly as hot or muggy as
south Florida, plus it has a spring and fall. The winters are mild.

Harry, have you ever heard of the "Green Turtle" restaurant on hwy 1 on the
southern end of Jax? I went there once when I was working at Cape Canaveral
back in about 1964. The place was just a one-story cinder block building
with a small (3' x 5') sign on the outside. Not at all 'ritzy' looking.

A co-worker (another surveyor) and I went in there, sat down, and were
immediately served hot bread, butter, and a plateload of snacks, which we
started eating. We were impressed with the decor and the fancy waiters, but
once we got the menu we got *really* impressed. The prices were all in the
$30 range! (Remember, this was 40+ years ago.)

We called the waiter over and apologized for the fact that neither of us
could afford his fine restaurant. We did offer to pay something for the
snacks, but luckily they didn't want anything. I don't think I've ever been
more embarrassed in my life.

On the other hand, there was a place called the 'Chicken Shack' south of
town where, for about $4.95, one could eat all the fried chicken, sides,
and biscuits and honey one could hold. I'd almost fly back to Jax to eat
there again.
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****