posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
noexpert

Default Inspecting Standing Rigging

I remember the collapse of a public pool ceiling killing a number of peoples
in switzerland some years ago.
The hang up ceiling was supported by hidden 304 type (18-8) S-hooks behind
and out of sight for inspection.
I recall the report stating that the chloride laden pool air and humidity
exposed the hooks causing this intercristaline corrosion leading to sudden
failure to support loads.
As I understand the engineering world in Europe took note and better suited
s/s alloys are utilised now.

If rigging for ocean going boats is still made from 304, I think it amounts
to criminal negligence to continue to equip boots with these essential
structural members in a maritime environment where plenty of chloride (salt)
are present.

Having worked with both 304 , 316 and others the price difference of those
different alloys were not really the mainconcern but mainly to get the right
stock for the task on hand.

I am not clear what the nitronic s/s alloy is made of, but if it is more
suitable why bother with 304 at all.