Default How Long the Shaft of an Auxiliary Motor Should I Get?

Don White wrote:
wrote:
snip..
One thing that I would like to know is:
What's the definition of the length of the shaft of a motor? How
is this being measured? Is this measured from the axis of the
propeller to the bottom edge of the solid mass of the large motor head
(that occupies the upper half of an outboard motor)?

Thanks for any following-up info in advance.

Jay Chan

As I understand it...you measure from the edge of the bracket that
clamps onto your transom to the top of the cavitation plate.
(or if the motor is mounted...from the top of the transom where the
outboard clamp sits to the top of the cavitation plate)
Approx 15" is considered 'short shaft'....
20" would be 'long shaft'.

Thanks for the explanation of how a shaft is being measured. This
should help me in selecting the correct shaft for an auxiliary motor.

Jay Chan