posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

Default I hear NMEA...

"Larry" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

I think you'll find more RS-422 devices with screw terminals than with
connectors. Talk to a professional installer why this is.

Meindert

I give up. The problem here is RF interference with very close by HF

radio
equipment used on BOATS. No amount of excuses is going to change the fact
that the damned screw terminals, unshielded wiring (even balanced, which
it's not) and open cabling hooked to the big boat DC antenna is going to
change it.

The issue is: when a device is designed properly, there is nothing to
transmit. Even IF you use unshielded cable and screw terminals. The output
signal of a 4800 baud port should be frequency limited with an internal
filter to prevent fast transients on the signal. If that is done properly,
there is nothing to transmit on whatever cable used.

NMEA should have used a SEALED, WATERPROOF, SHIELDED connector, STANDARD

all devices from all manufacturers to eliminate RF interference.

Again, not necessary.

They
should have mandated the inside of the cheap plastic boxes be painted with
shielding paint and displays be covered with shielding plastic to stop the
radiation from there.

Why? if the design is right, no need for shielded housing.

They didn't. Everyone "did their own thing", like
you did. The customers pay for it with all this non-standardized ****ware
screwed together with the corroded wiring and rotting terminal strips open
to the sea air.

Using nickel plated brass/copper terminal strips prevents corrosion, indeed
like I did. The drawback of connectors is that 1) you have to mount them,
which is something not everyone can do properly and
2) when moulded to a cable, you have to drill oversized holes to run the
connectors through. That's why most installers like bare cables and screw
terminals. At least, that's what they tell me.

Your everlasting rant against this holds no ground.

Meindert