kuhlhand

Default Starter removal on 1997 3.0L Volvo Penta GM

Gene Kearns wrote:

Without seeing exactly what you have, I'm gonna guess that a starter
wrench or obstruction wrench is your best bet....

Here's a pictu
http://www.dealsonwheels.com/partsan...art_id=1347446

That having been said, your comment that "the starter has started to
act funny...taking a long time to start the engine and even draining
the batteries" sounds a lot more like engine problems than starter
problems.... Assuming good batteries, is the starter turning the
engine more slowly?

Thanks for your quick response and link.

Sometimes when I turn the key there is a hesitation and then it will
act like the batteries are dead by giving a weak attempt to turn over.
Other times it will start right up. A couple of weeks ago I was out and
drained both batteries trying to start it up(the starter was smoking a
little and smelled like burnt wires.) My wife and I flagged down a
couple of girls that were convinced that I had a bad battery (one was
one season old the other was two seasons old and both were freshly
charged) and put the jumper cables to it and it started up like a champ
(kinda embarrassing). The next day I bought a new battery but this
still hasn't solved the issue. I thought I would replace the starter
and see if that was the issue.