posted to alt.sailing.asa
SUZY

Default On the Hans Horrevoets incident.

Scotty on an corporate sponsered open ocean racer, in the top race
after the American cups race IMO.. it would be wise for all to be
required to wear a harness. These guys are Professional sailors and
should prepare in a professional way.

That being said, I seldom wear a harness and never a life jacket on
RedCloud, and never a lifejacket on my Dink. But I'm a strong swimmer
and feel a jacket or harness can entangle you and cause more harm then
it could prevent. I do have jackets on the boats. Now if I were out in
the middle of the pacific or atlantic on the bow fighting a big sail in
building weather I'd be tied to something and have a PFD.

It's a personal gamble for us to decide not to wear some safety gear,
but professionals engaged in a profession should set an example for
others to follow.

Joe