posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Default On the Hans Horrevoets incident.

''Simon Fisher on what happened:

We had all got up for a sail change, had everyone on deck.
There was 12 knots of wind. During that change, the wind
went from 12-14 knots to 25 knots quite quickly.''

IMHO, He wasn't wearing a harness because he chose not to.
His decision, right or wrong, his choice (as it should be).

Thanks for the link, Ozzy.

Scotty

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com..
..
Sorry, guys, I gotta disagree.

First and foremost, I sympathize with his family. A

terrible loss for
them. I also don't fault the crew for their MOB

procedures. I'm sure
they did everything possible.

However, I don't see that the interview truly explains why

he wasn't
harnessed. Like Oz1 sez, downhill in high seas and 25+

knots flying the
chute in cold water. Everyone should have been harnessed

before
starting their watch, not thinking "Ah, it's ok. We can go

below and
get harnessed and come back on deck if/when it

deteriorates." These are
experienced, professional racers. They were too casual and

it cost his
family everything.

"The sea will claim its own" is not applicable here. This

was his
fault, not the ocean's. "He died doing what he loved."

Would have been
more fun for him and his family if he'd continued to live,

doing what
he loved and taking care of those he loved.

Frank