Skip Gundlach

Default Demonstration footage of boat anchors

Glenn said:

I stand by my statement about the rode. I spent 3 days doing in the
water
tests in the BVI/USVI last year with several Bruce and plow patterns to
see
how they stacked up with the Spade. Tests were conducted in the coral
sand
bottom at Deadman's Bay, Peter Island, eel grass over sand at Setting
Point,
Anegada, heavy marl in Coral Bay, St. John and soupy mud in Great Cruz
Bay.
Rode was 3/8 HT. Using weighted pool noodles to mark the drop and set
points and steel tapes we recorded the setting distance among other
things
at various scopes. As the scope was increased past about 4:1 the
setting
distance increased significantly on almost every pattern. Most would
not
begin to set until the shank was lifted off the bottom. On the other
hand,
once set, holding power increased with increasing scope leveling out
just
past 7:1 in all bottoms on most patterns with slightly more rode
required in
the soupy mud.

That's why my anchoring modus is to lower the anchor in a controlled
fashion to the bottom, let out a little scope to let it drag to proper
position, and then let out 3-1 (faster than the boat moves, but not to
pile the chain on top of the anchor) and stop. Nearly all the time,
the boat will drift back, and, the anchor set. If not, nearly always
(otherwise), it will shortly set, as seen by the chain going taut. I
just tripped on that by doing it, not by reading the reports; it seems
to work...

Then I let out my anticipated scope, usually 5 to 7:1, in a bunch
(faster than the boat moves). That causes the boat to veer off and
blow down. As the chain starts to tigthen, it pulls the bow back
around, and, again, I look for the jerk (not the one standing over the
windlass button).

If it comes up short and hard, I assume it's reasonably set, back down
to be sure, and then attach the snubber and let out the required extra
to allow the chain to hang straight down...

YMMV as to your method, but it's pretty painless and doesn't involve
backing down until it's reasonably sure to be set.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/p7rb4 - NOTE:new URL! The vessel as Tehamana, as we
bought her

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you
are
quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to you that in the
general scheme of things you are merely an insignificant speck on the
surface of the ocean; and are not nearly so important or as
self-sufficient
as you thought you were. Which is an exceedingly wholesome thought,
and one
that may effect a permanent change in your deportment that will be
greatly
appreciated by your friends."- James S. Pitkin