Default Demonstration footage of boat anchors

Mic stated:
So it is not of "ultimate"
use under those conditions. But who said it was?
Wayne was just trolling. The fact that by using a kellet in heavy
weather anchoring is that a chain is less likely to become taut than
without one except in extreme conditons and circumstances. In other
words a chain will go taut latter (if at all depending on the
conditons) with the use of a kellet or more chain than sooner without
based on experience and knowledge. At which point the concern would
not just be that of ultimate holding power but chafe, deck hardware
strenght, integrity of snubbers, etc.

An attempt to correct misinformation and ill considered advice is not a
troll, it is normal newsgroup give and take. If you can't take the
heat stay out of the kitchen.

As I stated earlier, 3/8 chain will go taut at about 1200 lbs. That is
not an extreme condition at all, if fact it is only about 20% of the
safe working load of 3/8 HT chain. If you don't believe me, show up
with your strain guages and I will provide the test boat. I routinely
set my anchor with approximately that load and have suffered no loss of
deck hardware or anything else. It is also about the force generated
by my boat in about 30 to 35 knots of wind, windy but certainly not
extreme. I have sized my ground tackle to withstand 50 to 60 knot
conditions, approximately the force of a full blown thunder squall. So
far, so good. A kellet would serve no purpose whatsoever except
clutter.