posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

Default SR261 AIS transceiver

On Fri, 26 May 2006 21:13:19 -0400, Larry wrote:

My 400GB external USB hard drive gets its power from an AC power brick, not
the USB port. Its USB port is the square one without the power drain. I
wouldn't expect any computer to run the 400GB big hard drive and all those
LEDs and cooling fan. USB doesn't have that kind of power output.

I try to avoid having AC powered accessories for the laptop. The
typical wall warts are obnoxious to deploy, tie up 2 plugs on a power
strip, and are heavy and bulky to schlep. I had 3 laptop HDs
(40-80GB) laying around so I picked up an enclosure. It's just an
IDE-USB adapter in a metal case with a padded leather wallet to carry
it in. The whole thing is a bit smaller than my old handheld. 1 LED,
no fan, with a USB cable. The USB cable has a neat wrinkle - there's
a "Y" in the cable so you can plug the drive into 2 ports to get
enough power if one port doesn't work. Works fine, but I'd rather not
waste the extra port.
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/